Cooks Gardens offers an iconic venue for runners & walkers of all ages and abilities to run a Mile at the same venue that Peter Snell set the world one mile record of 3m 54.4s on the 27 January 1962.
All finishers will receive an official time and certificate.
Entrants will compete in races based on age groups, and must compete in the section corresponding to their age and gender.
Official results will be available at the conclusion of the event.
Awards will be provided for the top three men and women overall. Additional spot awards for age and gender groups will also be drawn and presented.
“Come run a mile at the iconic Cooks Gardens, Whanganui, New Zealand”
Sir Peter Snell
Each age category will cater for both runners and walkers. Separate lanes will be allocated to those walking from those running.
Race numbers and race packs will be available for pick up from 4pm-7.00pm Saturday 17th December from Sports Whanganui, Maria Place Extn and also available on race day from 7.30am.
Race Briefing will be held in the specially marked out area in the centre of the athletic track. 15 minutes before the start of each age group category. Entrants will be assemble in their respective groups (Runners / walkers) and lead out to the start line.
Event / Race Numbers
Please ensure you collect your race packs early.
Please record brief medical details on the reverse of your race number in case of emergencies.
You must pin your race number to the front of your shirt. (This is essential for correct race timing).
Major spot prizes will be drawn at the prize giving and winners must be there to collect their spot prize otherwise it will be redrawn.
Early bird and minor spot prizes will be drawn before the event and can be collected with your race pack.
Event Race Rules
- All participants, at all times must remain inside the marked course and must keep to the lanes allocated (Runners / walkers). Failure to do so could lead to disqualification.
- Participants are asked not to impede the progress of other participants if being lapped by moving out a lane.
- At all times, you must obey instructions given to you by Event Officials and Marshalls.
- Accompanying animals are not allowed on Cooks Gardens.
- Port-a-loos will also be available.
At the finish line please follow the directions of the event officials.
Official electronic event timing will cease after 20 minutes. Hand held times will be given after that.
Showers and Toilets
There are showers and toilets available at Cooks Gardens for use on the day. Of the event.
- Finishers Certificates will be available to download two days after the event from www.sportsheritage.nz
Collegiate Motor Inn
There will be qualified first aiders available on the ground. If you require assistance please request help from any marshal or official.
- Provisional results will be posted on the results board at Cooks Gardens and available on Track Meet as soon as they become available and updated accordingly. If you have a query arising from the provisional results please see one of our officials in the Results Centre in the Grandstand.
- Results will also be posted to the event website of www.sportsheritage.nz asap after the event.
- Online entries will close at midnight, 15th March 2018. Late entries will be accepted up to 17th March with an additional $10 late entry fee.
Preparation and Training
Improving your fitness for the Snell Mile Challenge.
Learning to Enjoy Running
Eating when Training
Pre and Post-Run MealsSnacks
Eating before the Snell Mile Challenge